In late July, the Ontario Government launched a survey to learn about the experiences of condominium unit owners across the province. This survey will likely have a significant impact on whether or not the government considers reforms to the Condominium Act.
The survey covers a broad range of condo issues, including:
- Disclosure before Purchase
- Governance / Decision making
- Repairs and Maintenance
- Reserve Funds & Planning
- Dispute Resolution / Interaction with Board
- Owners’ knowledge of Condo Act
These are all issues with which every condo owner has at least some experience. To be sure, more than 3,100 owners have reportedly completed the survey to date.
In addition to giving owners the chance to air their beefs, the survey also offers a number of educational tidbits designed to clear up common misconceptions shared by unit owners. This feature alone makes the survey a worthwhile exercise for owners, even those that don’t have strong feelings about condo living.
To help get your creative juices flowing, here’s a sneak peek of the major survey questions:
- Do you feel you knew enough about condominium ownership prior to purchasing your unit?
- What information would have been helpful prior to purchasing your condominium?
- Do you have a clear understanding of how your board makes decisions? If not, what would help?
- Do you feel that you have input into decisions made by your condominium’s board? What has your experience been?
- If you have taken a concern to your board, what was it and how did the board respond?
- What has your experience been with repairs and maintenance?
- Do you have enough information about your condominium’s reserve fund? Are you satisfied with your condominium’s reserve fund planning?
- Have you had problems with your condominium board? What were the challenges?
- Have you pursued mediation or arbitration to resolve a dispute with your board? If so, what was your experience?
- What would improve your ability to resolve disputes with your board?
- Are there other experiences with condominium ownership that you would like to tell us about?
- Are there other topics related to condominium ownership that you would like to learn more about?